Tell us if something changes

While you're living in public (social) housing, you need to let us know straight away about any changes in your or your partner's situation


You need to tell us no matter how much rent you pay.

This could be changes to:

  • income
  • assets
  • people moving in or out of the property
  • children in your care, eg, having a child or changing custody arrangements.

Changes may affect:

  • the amount of rent you pay
  • whether you still qualify for public housing, or
  • whether the property you're in is still suitable for you.

If you don't let us know, you could end up paying the wrong amount of rent and may have a debt to pay back. Or you may only get a few weeks' notice before your rent goes up.

How to tell us

Who you need to call depends on your situation. If you get:

  • a benefit or extra help payments from us, call us on 0800 559 009
  • NZ Super or Veteran's Pension, call Senior Services on 0800 552 002
  • no payments from us or Senior Services, call Housing Unit on 0800 673 468.