Emergency and transitional housing providers

Information for accommodation providers working with or wanting to help clients in need of emergency housing.

The Government supports people in serious housing need by helping them access emergency and transitional housing.

The Ministry of Social Development (MSD) supports people to access commercial accommodation using the Emergency Housing Special Needs Grant, while the Ministry of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) contracts providers who offer transitional housing.

Transitional housing providers

This page includes information for transitional housing providers with contracts with HUD to provide transitional housing places for up to 12 weeks.

Emergency accommodation suppliers

This page sets out information for suppliers of temporary accommodation for MSD's clients where the client's costs for accommodation are being paid by an Emergency Housing Special Needs Grant. This accommodation may include hostels and motels.

Interested in providing emergency housing?

Do you have vacancies that could be used by clients needing somewhere temporary to stay? In order to receive payments on behalf of a client, you will need to be a registered MSD supplier.