Moving to New Zealand

New Zealand has social security agreements with some countries. This means it may be easier for you to get benefits or pensions from New Zealand, or from those countries.

If you can get a state social security benefit, pension or periodic allowance from another country you must tell us.

Getting an overseas benefit or pension in New Zealand

Residency requirements for New Zealand benefits and pensions

Unless you're from a country that has a social security agreement with New Zealand, you'll need to meet the standard rules for getting a New Zealand benefit or pension.

Residency requirements for New Zealand benefits and pensions

Overseas Pensions

You may be able to get benefits or pensions from us and from overseas countries you have lived in. It's up to the benefit or pension agency of the country making the payment to decide who can get one.

It may affect the amount you're paid for New Zealand benefits or pension.

Find out about:

  • who can get an overseas pension in New Zealand
  • spouse or partner entitlements
  • how much you can get
  • how to apply
  • the social security agreements we have with other countries
  • the different payment options.

Migrants and refugees

We offer special services to migrants and refugees that can help them settle in New Zealand and find work.

Contact Work and Income about these services.

International custody or access dispute

If you're involved in an international custody or access dispute and are struggling financially, we may also be able to help.


Our International Services team specialise in overseas pensions.

Contact International Services