Away from Home Allowance

Away from Home Allowance is a weekly payment which helps carers with the living costs for 16 or 17 year olds who are living away from home while on a tertiary or training course. We pay the allowance to the carer of the young person.

Who can get it

You may get an Away from Home Allowance if:

  • you are the main carer of a 16 or 17 year-old young person
  • you are eligible for a family tax credit for the young person
  • the young person is dependent on you
  • the young person is living away from home while on a tertiary course or approved employment related training.

How much you can get

This depends on your and the young person's circumstances.

How to apply

You need to call us on 0800 559 009

We'll talk with you to understand your situation and how we can help. We'll let you know what information you need to provide and how to get this to us.


This information is a guide only.

Contact us to talk about your individual circumstances.