Supported Living Payment medical certificate for a person being cared for - Information for health practitioners

The Supported Living Payment benefit may be paid to a person who is providing full-time care and attention to someone (not their spouse or partner) at home. This payment recognises the impact of providing that level of care has on a carer's ability to work.


For financial assistance to be given to a carer, Work and Income requires a medical certificate for the person being cared for to assure us that they require full-time care and attention.

  • Level of care required

    If the person wasn't being cared for at home they would otherwise need:

    • residential care
    • extended care services for severely disabled children and young people
    • hospital-level care
    • rest home care
    • the equivalent to any of these kinds of care.

    This is the level of care where you might consider a NASC (Needs Assessment and Service Co-ordination) or AT&R (Assessment, Treatment and Rehabilitation) assessment is required.

    Full-time care and attention means the person will require 24-hour access to care and attention. This doesn't mean the person is expected to give 24 hour care, but must be available if required.

    It must be over and above the ordinary care required by someone of the same age. Simply providing company and/or help with a few daily tasks isn't enough to qualify.

    Carers of a spouse or partner don't qualify for this benefit.

    If the person being cared for doesn't need full-time care and attention, the carer isn't eligible for this benefit, but may qualify for another benefit.

  • Completing a Supported Living Payment medical certificate for a person being cared for

    You must be a registered health practitioner. If you aren't the usual practitioner, you need to have sighted relevant recent medical assessments or other up-to-date information about the person.

    Most importantly:

    • you need to have seen the person being cared for face-to-face recently, and
    • you must be sure the information you are providing is professional, true and accurate. It would be prudent to keep a copy of the certificate.

    You may indicate on the certificate if you feel the medical certificate should be completed by another health practitioner, or request a second opinion.

  • Review periods

    You are asked to anticipate the length of time that this care arrangement will be needed, and indicate a review period.

    The condition of someone who requires full-time care and attention can change over time. Their situation may improve, or it may deteriorate meaning they need to go into residential or hospital care, or they may die.

    If you would like to discuss anything about an application with Work and Income, please indicate on the medical certificate that you would like one of our staff to contact you.

  • For more information