NZ Superannuation and Veteran's Pension - going overseas

If you get New Zealand Superannuation or Veteran's Pension, you can go anywhere in the world and you may still be able to take up to 100 per cent of your gross payment with you. What you'll get depends on where you go to and how long you've resided in New Zealand.


The rules that will apply to you will depend on where you want to go, how long you go for and whether you intend to travel overseas for a holiday (or overseas experience) or reside in an overseas country.

The rules apply to each of the following situations:

Going overseas rules

Are you:

Don't forget to:

Veterans and surviving spouses of Veterans

If you're a veteran or the spouse or partner of a deceased veteran, you may be eligible for help (eg a War Disablement Pension or a Surviving Spouse Pension) while living overseas. These are different to anything you get from us (for example the Veteran’s Pension).

For more information about what you might be able to get, or how moving overseas affects your payments from Veterans’ Affairs New Zealand (VANZ), please call 0800 4 VETERAN (0800 4 838 372).


Our International team specialise in paying New Zealand benefits and pensions while you are overseas. They are the best people to contact if you have any questions.

Contact Senior Services International