Find out what services we can offer to help you find work and when you start a new job.
Looking for work
We have jobs available now in various industries and you can search on our job websites.
Help with your job search
From advice on making a plan, to tips on where to look and following up leads.
Training and experience
Our programmes can help you get ready for work with training and work experience.
Job Connect on Facebook
Find out how we can help you get ready to work, find work, and support available while you're working.
CVs and cover letters
We’ve got great templates and advice for writing your CV or cover letter, and filling out job applications.
Help with work costs
Get help to pay for the things you need to start work
Job support and advice
Get all the support and advice you need to stay in work.
Health and disability
If you want to work, we can support you to find the right job for you.
Start your own business
We can help you get your business up and running.
Get advice about how to prepare for and deliver a great interview.
Help for 16-19 year olds
We’ve got extra support for young people to get ready for work and find a job.
Benefits and payments homepage
Take a look at the range of benefits and payments we have available.
Redundancy, health condition or disability or another reason you can’t work
Food, school costs, power, accommodation or other living expenses you need help with
You’ve had a relationship break-up, family breakdown or violent relationship end
Health and Disability
Counselling, prescription and GP costs, medical alarms and other costs we can help with
Travelling overseas, how to apply, payment rates and dates, overseas pensions, income and other info for Seniors
Caring for someone else’s child or someone with a health condition, injury or disability
Urgent or unexpected costs
Dental, glasses, car repairs, fridge, washing machine, funeral or other urgent costs you need help with
Childcare, school uniforms, stationery, having a baby and other costs if you have children
Fixing issues with Accommodation Supplement, Special Benefit and other payments we’ve made
16-19 year olds
Education, training, work and benefit help for 16-19 year olds
Benefits and forms
A-Z list of benefits, forms, benefit rates
On a benefit homepage
Check out what you need to do when you're getting a benefit or other payment from us.
Address, contact details, overseas travel, childcare, relationship or anything else that’s changed.
Declare income, wages deduction calculator and tables
Change in your childcare situation, continue childcare payments, cohort entry schools and other childcare information
Re-apply for Jobseeker Support, Sole Parent Support, Temporary Additional Support and more
Check or stop your payments, payment cards and other information
Check your debt, repayments and other debt information
Rights and responsibilities
Our commitment to you, obligations, complaints, benefit fraud and more
Find out how we can help you with housing.
Nowhere to stay
Get help if you have nowhere to stay right now.
Find a house
Find out where to look for private housing, or apply for public (social) housing.
Living in your home
Get help with accommodation costs, and advice on any housing issues and public housing tenancies.
Find out how we can help if you’re moving house.
Changes announced in Budget 2023
18 May 2023.
The Government has announced further investment and some changes as part of the 2023 Budget.
There will be investment and changes for:
- childcare assistance
- help with work
- help with study, and
- employment services for people facing redundancy or who have recently lost their job.
In an earlier Budget 2023 announcement, the Government announced support for businesses to redeploy and retrain workers as part of the cyclone recovery package.
This includes making childcare support easier to access, including:
- improving the application process for Childcare Assistance
- increasing the rate of Guaranteed Childcare Assistance Payment from 1 April 2024, and
- expanding Flexible Childcare Assistance for parents working non-standard hours from 1 April 2024.
Help with study
- permanently reinstating Training Incentive Allowance for courses at levels 4-7 of the New Zealand Qualifications Framework, and
- supporting disabled learners through the Employment Service in Schools pilot.
Help with work
- helping people to find or start a job, with funding over 3 years through the:
- Transition to Work, and
- $5k to Work programme
- continued employment services through:
- Direct Career Service
- Connected, a cross-Government service for training, education and employment
- Education to Employment, connecting ākonga with employers, working with the Ministry of Education, and
- Student Job Search Permanent Placement Initiative
- the Supporting Offenders into Employment service continues for an additional 4 years
- a trial of stay-at-work and return-to-work supports for people living with musculoskeletal conditions who can't get ACC
- continuing to support the Oranga Mahi cross-agency trials for an additional 2 years
- continuing to deliver the Mayors Taskforce for Jobs Community Resilience Programme for an additional 2 years, and
- continuing to deliver Auckland Council's Ngā Puna Pūkenga partnership for an additional 2 years.
People facing redundancy or recently lost their job
This includes continuing employment services for people facing redundancy or who have recently lost their jobs.
There will be funding for a further 2 years through:
- Early Response Redeployment Support, and
- Rapid Return to Work funding.
For more information about these investments and changes, go to the Ministry of Social Development website