To help you get a job you may need to get some more skills. There are lots of courses to help you do this and we may be able to pay your course fees or other costs.


We look at this on a case by case basis and need you to come and talk to us before we make a decision

  • Who can get it

    As a guide here’s what we look at:

    • if you’re on a benefit or waiting to be granted one
    • your income and your partner’s income
    • how long your course is for
    • if the course is an approved course
    • if doing the course means extra costs for you.
  • What you can get

    Course fees

    Up to $1000 is available for short courses over a year (52 weeks).

    Up to $4,839.20 is available for longer term courses. This amount includes not just payment of course fees, but other expenses like transport, books, stationery or childcare costs.

    Help with travel costs for ILN and ESOL courses

    If you need help with travel costs to get to a course that helps you with reading, maths, or speaking English, we may be able to help.

    There are two types of courses that are paid for by the Tertiary Education Commission. They’re free for Work and Income clients who have had approval to attend.

    Limited Service Volunteer - your pathway to employment

    A 6 week hands-on motivational and training programme for young people run by the New Zealand Defence Force on our behalf. You will improve your job prospects, increase your confidence, and make new friends while living at a military camp during the course.

    Studying while on a benefit

    You can study full or part-time while receiving some benefits.

    However, if you want to study full-time you can apply for either a Student Allowance or a Student Loan through StudyLink to help with your living expenses and financing your study.